Hammer Drill Types
Hammer drills are mainly classified into two categories based on mechanism and power it holds. The types are Cam-Action and Electro-Pneumatic. Hammer drills are the 2017 best hand tools for home and business use.
- The hammer drill with low power is “cam-action” or “percussion”. It is also called as hammering mechanism.
- These drills have two set of gears which interact with each other and it can produce a hammering force/action when it transfers or rotates the drill.
- The complexion in Cam-Action is that the drill chuck moves in both ways. Either the front or back and the motion depend on the rotation of the chuck.
- This driller can be used in both with and without hammer action. The hammer motion will be impossible without the rotation of the cams.
- These types of drills are mostly compact and few are cordless. This drill is only best for drilling in masonry and concrete but not for construction production.
- The drills in this category are big and they are called as rotary hammers. It is not compact one but it can able to produce large crash force. So we have to thank for the EP hammering mechanism.
- This EP hammer drill is depending on two action pistons namely, drive piston and flying one. When the electric motor turns a crank then the drive piston moves in forth and back in a cylinder.
- The air pressure in the cylinder can easily transfer the energy when the pistons will never touch. Today most of the drills are having separate functions for rotation and hammer and these hammers are depending on EP.
- Both Cam-Action and EP hammer can be cordless or corded. The formers will always depend on batteries rather than other.
2017 best hammer drill is Bosch HDB180-02 and it is a battery powered source with blows 21,000. The weight of the drill is 9.4lbs.
How to use a Hammer Drill?
- The hammer drill has a special design of clutch which allows the drill to spin and punch it on its own axis.
- When the action of hammering is fast, the drill moves forth and back at a small distance, the blow force is also small and BPM or IPM can also achieve.
- If you switch off the clutch in a hammer drill and now it turns into a standard drill for metal, wood and other soft materials.
- The standard drills cannot produce the force like hammering one which required for a break or makes holes.
More from my site